Evergreen Washelli Cemetery & Burial Service Serving the Seattle WA Area
A cemetery is a historic place and a walk through Evergreen Washelli's buildings and grounds gives a sense of heritage. The stately poplars have been a Seattle landmark for decades. The name “Washelli” was suggested by Mary Leary, the wife of Seattle’s mayor John Leary. Mary wrote to her friend James Gilchrist Swan, requesting an Indian word appropriate for naming a cemetery. On November 30, 1884, Swan suggested “Washelli,” the Makah word for west wind, a quote from Hiawatha; the west was believed to be the region of the hereafter, thereby making the name Washelli Cemetery mean “The Cemetery of the Land of the Hereafter.”
Evergreen Washelli is divided into large sections. Each section has rules that govern the type of memorial that can be placed on the burial property. Lot location is determined by the type of headstone desired. You will see some very personal and unique memorials at Evergreen Washelli, but they fall into two major categories:
- Monument—Traditionally families will choose an upright memorial for their lot, which bears the family name. Individual names and dates can also be inscribed on the monument if you wish, or head/foot markers can memorialize the individual burial spaces. (Most sections require a minimum of four spaces for a monument.)
- Lawn-Level—There are sections at Evergreen Washelli that permit only lawn-level (flat) markers. Although these are the most economical, finding the burial space can be difficult in the fall when there are leaves on the ground and in the winter when there is snow on the ground.
Evergreen Washelli offers a variety of burial, entombment and cremation options. We cater to those with traditional needs as well as those with non-traditional needs. Please let us know what you're looking for, as we are able to accommodate most all cremation requests. Evergreen Washelli offers many options, some of which include:
- Family Estates—An individual or family can design the perfect private "garden" estate to accommodate as many or as few people as desired. This can be burial space, cremation space, a private mausoleum — or a combination of any or all of these forms of memorialization.
- Our newly developed Snoqualmie Estates, with its running creek and bubbling fountain, provides beautifully secluded and peaceful resting places that harbor quiet reflection and remembrance for generations to come.
- Lawn Crypts—The Evergreen Lawn Crypt section provides a modern and affordable burial option. Modern engineering and construction methods are used to create a well-drained section of pre-placed concrete burial liners, both single and double-depth. This is a beautiful yet economical burial option for both individuals and couples.
- Traditional Ground Burial—Evergreen Washelli has a plentiful selection of traditional ground-burial sections in several locations throughout the cemetery.
- Entombment—San Juan Mausoleum provides an affordable alternative for those who prefer above-ground placement.
Options for placement and memorialization of cremated remains at Evergreen Washelli include the following:
- Washelli Columbarium—A beautiful and serene setting with its many water features, offers the option of bronze or glass-front niches. The glass front niches allow for visible creative and personalized memorialization for individuals or multiple family members. Sheltered and handicapped-accessible, the Washelli Columbarium provides comfort and convenience.
- San Juan Mausoleum Niches—A peaceful location surrounded by nature, this option is available for those preferring outdoor, above-ground placement of cremated remains. This granite columbarium contains niches that can hold either single or companion placements.
- Tree-Ring Cremation Gardens—A new concept in cremation memorialization, Tree-Ring Gardens is a small, elegantly landscaped garden providing for economical individual placement of cremated remains.
- Traditional Cremation Gardens—We offer several traditional cremation ground-burial options including Memory Glen. Our Memory Glen Wall allows for above-ground placement. Both are located in a garden surrounded in the beauty of nature.
For other creative options, contact your cemetery representative.